Cornbread Vegetable Pot Pie
- 2 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 8 oz. package sliced baby bella mushrooms rinsed
- 5 ribs celery chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 medium carrots sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons Spice Hunter thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon Spice Hunter rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon Spice Hunter California garlic
- 1 teaspoon Spice Hunter California onion
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or melted butter
- ¾ cup low fat buttermilk
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray or grease a 10-inch pie dish or cast iron skillet and set aside.
Heat olive oil in a large stock pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sweet potatoes, mushrooms, celery, carrots and onion and sauté until veggies soften, about 8-10 minutes. Season vegetables with salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, Spice Hunter's Thyme and Spice Hunter's Sage. Add minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about another minute.
Add flour to pot and cook for about a minute. Add stock and continue to cook until slightly thickened, about 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add more salt and pepper to taste if desired. Pour vegetable mixture into prepared pie dish or skillet and set aside while you prepare the cornbread batter.
In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Add egg, buttermilk and oil and whisk until just combined.
Using a ladle or large spoon, spoon cornbread batter over vegetable mixture, leaving some of the edges exposed. Bake pot pie for 25-35 minutes or until cornbread is golden brown.
Recipe courtesy of Pink Owl Kitchen